Your privacy is very important to us at Rugby Elim Church. Accordingly, we have developed this Policy in order for you to understand how we collect, use, communicate, disclose and make use of your personal data.
All personal data, whether it is held on paper, on computer or other media, will be subject to the appropriate legal safeguards as specified in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into UK law in May 2018.
2. What is "Personal Data"?
GDPR legislation defines "personal data" as "any information relating to an identifiable person, who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier."
Therefore, Rugby Elim Church understands "personal data" to mean any information that specifically relates to a person, which provides some meaningful form of context, explanation or description about that person.
3. Working Principles: Handling Personal Data
The principles of the regulation require that personal data shall:
- Be processed fairly and lawfully and shall not be processed unless certain conditions are met
- Be obtained for a specified and lawful purpose and shall not be processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose
- Be held without specific ongoing consent if there is either a legal requirement (e.g. historic attendance at ministries that are safeguarded) or a legitimate interest (e.g. a member of Rugby Elim Church)
- Be adequate, relevant and not excessive for those purposes
- Be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date
- Not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose. Please note that unless the right to erasure is invoked, the personal data of any person who leaves Rugby Elim Church will be kept securely archived for up to 12 months, to enable us to make any relevant or necessary contact with the subject of that data
- Be processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights
- Be kept secure from unauthorised or unlawful processing and protected against accidental loss, destruction or damage by using the appropriate technical and organisational measures
- Not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area, unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data
4. Our Commitment
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
5. Collection of Personal Data
Rugby Elim Church will collect personal information when you are in contact with us. For example when you:
- Register details via embedded forms on our website or social media
- Make a donation using our offering envelopes or electronic means
- Provide your contact details in writing or verbally to Church staff and volunteers
- Purchase goods or services, including when you provide credit/debit card details
- Communicate with the Church through means such as email, letter or telephone
Before (or at the time of) collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
6. Using and Making Use of Personal Data
Rugby Elim Church will use your personal information for three main purposes:
- The day-to-day administration and governance of the church which includes, but is not limited to, pastoral care (including calls and visits), coordinating team rotas, the keeping of financial records, safeguarding and child registration
- Making contact with you to keep you informed of church activities and resources
- Statistical analysis, in order to gain a better insight into church demographics. Please note, although collated church data may be handled by a secure third party, no personal data will be disclosed to them
7. Confidentiality of Personal Data
Rugby Elim Church will treat all of your personal information as private and confidential, not to be disclosed with anyone other than the church leadership and ministry overseers/co-coordinators within the church, in order to facilitate the administration and day-to-day ministry of the church.
There are four exceptions to the above, permitted by law:
- Where we are legally compelled to do so
- Where there is a duty to the public to disclose
- Where disclosure is required to protect your interest
- Where disclosure is made at your request or with your consent
8. Private, Secure Storage of Personal Data
Rugby Elim Church stores the majority of personal data on a private, secure and remote piece of software called ChurchSuite. Information contained on the ChurchSuite database will not be used for any other purposes than that which is outlined above in section 6.
The database is accessed through the cloud and therefore, can be accessed through any computer or device with internet access. The server for the database is in the UK (in compliance with GDPR) and hosted by Churchsuite.
Any data which can only be stored outside of the ChurchSuite database, for example DBS and personal safeguarding documentation, is stored in the Church Office in a locked cabinet behind a locked door.
ChurchSuite Database Information
1. Access to the database is strictly controlled through the use of name specific passwords, which are selected by the individual.
2. Those authorised to use the database only have access to their specific area of use within the database. This is controlled by Rugby Elim Church's Data Controller and other specified administrators. These are the only people who can access and set these security parameters.
3. People who will have secure and authorised access to the database include Rugby Elim Church staff, the Life Group Coordinator, the Rugby Elim Kids' lead worker and the Web & Social Media lead worker. Only the Church Pastors have full administrative access.
4. All access and activity on the database is logged and can be viewed by the Database Controller.
5. Subject Access - all individuals who are the subject of personal data held by Rugby Elim Church are entitled to:
- Ask what information the church holds about them and why
- Ask how to gain access to it
- Be informed how to keep it up to date
- Be informed what Rugby Elim Church is doing to comply with its obligations under the General Data Protection Regulations
6. Personal information will not be passed onto any third parties outside of the church environment and associated organisations.
We do not sell or pass any of your personal information to any other organisations and/or individuals without your express consent, with the following exception: by providing us with your details you are giving the Church your express permission to transfer your data to service providers including mailing houses, such as MailChimp, to enable fulfilment of the purpose for collection.
7. Sensitive Personal Information - the Church may collect and store sensitive personal information such as health information, religious information (church attendance) when you and/or your family attend, register for church events and conferences. Your personal information will be kept strictly confidential. It is never sold, given away, or otherwise shared with anyone, unless required by law.
9. Helpful External Links
European Commission's GDPR Website - click here
Information Commissioner's Office - click here
ChurchSuite's White Paper on GDPR and Data Protection - click here